In Transit
Wherein Moominmama crosses from the Canadian Rockies to Vancouver Island with a few stops on the way...
This past week was focused more on getting from one place to the next than exploring any individual location in detail. Moominmama had an appointment outside of Vancouver to have her trailer bearings repacked, a regular maintenance need that required being there on time!
But with a few days to get there, Moominmama opted for stops in Revelstoke and Kamloops, after original plans were scotched due to an unexpected campground closure. A scramble to find alternatives ensued.
Moominmama found an open spot at Revelstoke National Park, where she visited last year. This gave me a chance to repeat a favorite hike to Eva Lake in sunshine (above), and to swim in the beautiful, clear water, something I opted against last year when it was cold and rain threatened.
This time around there were fewer wildflowers in Revelstoke, but the lupins were still out in all their glory. Familiar but beautiful in their details.
From Revelstoke, Moominmama drove to a campground in McClure just north of Kamloops, which offers a major change in scenery from mountain forests to high desert. Back to the sagebrush for a day!
Ironically for a desert, it was raining for much of my visit, but I explored Kamloops downtown and had a fabulous brunch at a popular spot called Hello Toast.
I also visited a bakery that offered sourdough sesame bread, which turned out to be delicious. As the rain lifted, I opted for a walk around a nearby park: McArthur Island along the Thompson River, where people were invited to paint rocks to place along the footpath. The colorful gifts stretched for quite a ways!
This business of decorating along the sides of walking trails would return when I finally made it across to Vancouver Island. I am now in the town of Port Hardy, and my first walk along the estuary on a trail into town went past a group of machine shops.
The workers there had gathered some interesting machine parts no longer in use and set up an exhibit along the walkway. I wasn't quite sure what to make of this one!
I am on the northeastern end of the island, a new area to explore. We've had lots of rain but it looks to brighten up in the next few days. I can hear and see bald eagles from my campsite near the estuary.
I hope to get some seafront views of the Queen Charlotte Strait. This area between Vancouver Island and the mainland is an archipelago of islands and inlets. I'll explore along a few inlets and will camp on one of the islands in a few days.
The towns around here are old logging and fishing villages, though tourism is now a major industry. Still, what I've seen so far is unfussy and practical. The auto parts store seems to be the busiest spot in Port Hardy. Plus it's now September and the tourists are fewer.
The Moominhouse trailer bearings are lubricated, and plans are afoot to meet up with friends mid-island in another week. Stay tuned for more adventures! I've only just arrived!





The tapered roller bearing cones go round and round...
ReplyDelete