Into the Mist

Wherein Moominmama returns to the Olympic Peninsula and the Oregon Coast...

Last year, Moominmama discovered the Klahhane Ridge trail in the mountains of Olympic National Park but was unable to hike its length after a check-engine light ate up the day at the local Toyota dealer. This year, coming back into the U.S. from Vancouver Island, she had a second chance.

I awoke to some fog, but the sun was trying to push through. I figured it would clear during the morning so at least, I'd get the spectacular views on the way down.

Not so much. In fact, by the time I got back to the parking lot in the afternoon, the fog was so thick I could barely see to back the car out safely.

So this hike is on my re-do list, but that said, I had a marvelous time. On my way up, I met a couple who had just turned back because the wife had seen what she thought was cougar scat. (It looked like dog poop to me.)

The husband wanted to continue, so there was a bit of a dispute ongoing, which I was able to solve by joining the party. If I led the way, the wife reasoned that three people would discourage a cougar attack more than two. In fact, I probably benefited more by adding the duo to my otherwise solo hike.

So up we went in the fog, and it was quite beautiful in its own way, especially when we came upon the black-tailed buck, pictured above. We were in our own little world navigating the path through the fog and startled by other hikers, who appeared first as looming dark shapes on the path - horror movie style!

No cougars at least. And I achieved my goal of making it to the top of Klahhane Ridge, though it was kinda hard to tell. Here's the proof in any case, thanks to Pat, the wife.

From the Olympic Peninsula, I drove into Oregon to meet a friend at Tillicum beach. This again started out very promising. When I arrived at the campground, the sun was breaking through the fog, and the ocean sparkled (see end photo). By the time Meg arrived after work, the clouds had reasserted themselves. 

But we didn't let that stop us. We went to the farmers market in Yachats, ate fish and chips, enjoyed campfires at night and hiked along the coast -- at least until I hit a toe on a cement block outside my trailer and ended up limping. 

The volcanic rocks along the Oregon coast are endlessly fascinating, standing as hoodoos, offshore bird and seal sanctuaries or featuring strange holes and bridges near to the shore. 

At high tide, the waves here would have created a shoreside geyser. Signs all along the coast warn visitors not to turn their backs on the Pacific! As it was, a low-tide churning froth collected and ebbed with each wave.

The area communities have a quirky charm too, including Yachats which has a road called: La De Da Lane and a Fourth of July event called the La De Da Parade. Sorry to miss that!

After the weekend, Meg went back to work, and I drove to Portland to visit my brother and family. I escaped the overcast skies and fog, but traded them for a dust storm. My brother lives on a dirt road and a construction project diverted traffic onto his otherwise quiet street, creating a hazy cloud during the morning rush hour.

We had a nice visit, and I got to run laundry and go shopping before heading east.

My sister-in-law is a pianist and teacher, and my brother, in retirement, has returned to drumming. I even got a live performance from the two of them! 

I also got a drumming lesson from my brother and have a lot more respect for the challenge of coordinating feet and hands on a drum set. But it is also super fun!

Their two dogs (Lola pictured here) take seriously their jobs as watch dogs, and they would bark to alert the family not only when I entered the front door but also when I came out of the bathroom.

The funny thing is that they don't bother to bark if my brother and sister-in-law aren't there to hear them. What would be the point?

I'm back on the road now and heading away from the relentless damp of the coast. After three days of driving, I'm relaxing in Ely, Nevada at Ward Mountain. This is a favorite location of mine, and I have been enjoying the desert sun, the mountains, and the pinon pine, juniper and sagebrush. 

Compare that against the Pacific northwest where even a boardwalk can get quickly overrun with moss and ferns in the woods.

This eastern change of direction means I am only a bit more than three weeks from returning to Rochester and to New Hampshire, where I hope to see many of you. But I'll soak up the desert sun now while I can!












 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moominmama's Adventures: Year Five

Moominmama's Adventures: Denali National Park